Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Potager Y on a hot, humid summer's day...

Been really busy with work lately....
It is during times like this when I ask myself, 'now why didn't I choose to become a full time farmer?'...
I have full freedom to decide how I want to work, when I wish to work, and nobody (except my sweeto haaato of course) tells me what to do...
Hee hee hee, now wouldn't that be nice...
If only I have the courage to decide so... :)

Ok folks, you will all have to forgive me while I put up some 'not-so-nice' pictures...
I worked last Sunday, and I am taking today (Wednesday) off...
Had planned to shoot some pictures with the 'real' camera but unfortunately I left it at my office...
So, I am making do with a point and shoot camera for these pics...  


Well, my cute little plants are growing...
Cucumbers (the Japanese and the US types), jalapeno chillies, nasturtiums red and yellow, few types of tomatoes, zucchinis, pumpkins yellow and green, sweet corn, basil of the sweet and Thai types, dill, marigolds and zinnias aplenty, rows of coriander, Malabar spinach red and green, kangkong, long beans, wing beans, fuji beans, loofa Egyptian and angled, the long-slender-green-real bitter gourd, butter scotch pumpkin, green beans, sweet potatoes, the normal potatoes just about ready for harvesting, peanuts that are starting to flower, bell peppers, amaranth red and green, Korean shiso or Perilla aka Beefsteak plant, Japanese yams of the round and long type, mini watermelons, okra, chard... did I miss anything?
We obtained some Black-eyed Susan seeds from an elderly lady on one of our walks in the neighborhood...
Took us more than two years to get them to flower in our potager...

Harvested some onions some time ago...
Had been hanging them out in the shade to dry them for use during the rainy day...

The Japanese folks call these hydrangea beauties, 'Ajisai'...
Of the several types in our property, this is my favorite...

And the tiger lily....
When we are done with enjoying the flowers, it is time to harvest the edible root-bulbs...
That is, if the wild boars do not get to harvest them first...

16 comments:

  1. Waiting to see the wild boars in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rainfield... oh oh, I should seriously think of making a trap for the wild boars then...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty photos!! Wild boars?? Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious how you prepare for the tiger lily bulb. I am not familiar with them. But I would like to grow plants that have pretty flower and some part of it are edible. Isn't that a nice bonus! You grow so many varieties and many of them we are dearly missing them as we are already in winter. Oh fresh onions like them very much! Ours are just tiny seedlings. Your potager is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have wild boars there?

    Wild boars used to roam around my parents' house when I was small and ravaged all the tapioca plants. :(

    There was one time,my dad shot dead a wild boar and it died on our badminton court. We didn't use that court for a while after that.

    Those are all nice photos. And all are your labour of love. What's not nice about that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly... yeap, Wild boars...

    Malay-Kadazan girl... perhaps I should do a post on how I planted the tiger lilies... very simple... and I agree with you on the point about pretty flowers and the eating... that's that's the the way I like it...

    lina... they do roam about here and hunters do come to shoot or trap them...
    You have wild boars there?
    Thank you for your comment on the photos... I would have liked to put up more 'pleasing' pictures, if I only had my camera with me...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Lrong,
    There used to be wild boars roaming at night at our home in Raub, Pahang. Doubt if theres any more now since the area has been developed now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lina... so, Raub is also undergoing quite a lot changes... my village in Kedah is still very much a kampong although there are no such animals roaming around the padi fields...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you sure you wanna be a full time farmer? I made a new vege bed in my yard yesterday and i have aches everywhere on my body today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Lrong
    Must be nice to visit your Kampong. Believe it or not, I've seen countless paddy fields in Japan but I don't think I ever step near to one in Malaysia, let alone in KEdah. Must try hard and explore my own country some day. ^^!

    My hometown is currently going through rapid change. I guess it's good for the folks there but I miss the good 'ol days. Picking up wild fern by the stream, catching fish, climbing trees and all that. My Son don't have that experience. His grandad now lives in a terrace house instead of a kampong house. XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. milka... hope you have a smooth recovery with regards to your ached muscles... it is tough to be a farmer...

    lina... ooh, you should look at the beauties of Malaysia then... Japan is pretty too, no doubt... but the urbanization is really something to think about sometimes... for me, I think I would not survive living in a terrace house... we did that for almost 10 years here...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arent wild boars dangerous! Your farm certainly are growing healthily. To become a full time farmer is really hard work and need a lot of energy and stamina Mr Lrong. If you are up to it..I see why not, the end product are so satisfying and worth the while!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden looks very nice. Evidence of your caring.

    May I ask how long you dry your onions?

    Wild boars are eaten here as a delicacy. Very rarely served, if at all, in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bom...thank you my friend... the onions were harvested in mid June and they are still hanging there...
    Wild boars are also quite a rare delicacy here in Japan... and expensive too... perhaps I should try my hand in wild boar hunting...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, kirei no ajisai, ne! Love hydrangeas and that colour you have is really kirei!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rosie... arigato! I love the colors too...

    ReplyDelete