Saturday, November 12, 2011

Berries from the Inumaki/Kusamaki tree...

Was visiting the University of Victoria at Vancouver Island, Canada, a couple of years ago when I first witnessed birds eating these berries... 
I actually went over to the trees and tried one...
Sweet, it was...


Years down the road, was really happy to discover that we have those Inumaki or Kusamaki trees (native to China and Southern Japan) in our property...

Five of them are females, and I managed to harvest 1.3 kilos of these delicious berries from them...
The round, green portion is apparently inedible, and there is a small seed inside the berries...


The Inumaki trees and the Mountain Peach tree had been 'over-growing' in our garden for a while...
They were blocking the sun from our goldfish pond...
And my suweeto haato had been urging me to trim them down...


Finally got to doing it today...
And, whoaa, what an amateurish a job it turned out to be, I said to myself...

Well, at least we got the sun in, and the view of the mountains from our house improved markedly...

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/12/2011

    Much better than I would do. I won't even attempt trying to make trees and bushes look "nice" I just cut them to make them short...lol...do the berries grow on a bush?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/13/2011

    ahhh tis sunlight and views to see from your lovely hill side perch...and the trees will forgive you in due time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie... yeap, the berries do grow on the (female) Inumaki trees...

    Theanne... I do hope the trees will forgive me for my 'chopping' them down...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be a very hard job to trim the tree.

    I can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did the trimming all by yourself? Whoa! That's hard work!

    Lovely berries. I hope the tree will be nice and shady again and grow lots more berries for you. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. rainfield61... it is a "man's job", so to say... ;)

    lina... very hard work, and missus was so happy to see the trees pruned...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing beats a happy wife. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The berries look like grapes. As for chopping branches, I guess you know how it is done here. Pay. I salute you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting berry, it almost looks like a small olive. Good job with the tree trimming, looks pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so curious about those berries! What are you planning on making with your harvest?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You chop them down yourself? Wow! really hard work. Your garden look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a good job trimming those tree branches. Ah soaring bird!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lina... right on...

    One... the berries taste like jelly...

    Mr. H... thank you for your comment on the trimming...

    Tanya @ Lovely Greens ... we just freeze them and eat them frozen, with yogurt...

    Malar... yeap, spent quite a bit of time and effort at the chopping...

    Malay-Kadazan girl... am happy your noticed the bird, which is a Japanese kite...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, triming those trees seems like a gigantic task to me. I wish I could just tell my DH or the guys at home to "go trim the trees"! Did you use the fallen logs as firewood?

    ReplyDelete