Monday, January 9, 2012

The powers of purple corn...

Harvested about 7 ears of purple corn a few days ago...
Yes, seven teeny weeny corns... 
It is a big achievement for me as the previous crop was destroyed by a typhoon... 
These plants were grown from the last of the seeds given to me by a former student from Peru... 
If I had failed, there would be no more seeds left for me to try... phew...

Being the curious me, I did a search on the net and found some interesting information from this site
There are apparently few purple plants found in nature, and purple corn is one of them. 
How many can you name? 
Blueberries, mulberries, purple eggplant, purple sweet potatoes, prunes?
The purple corn is considered a Peruvian crop which is grown in the highlands of Peru.

The exciting thing about the purple corn is that they are packed with 'phytonutrients'.  
This include large amounts of 'phenolics' and 'anthocyanins'... 
Hmm, pretty bombastic terminology for me, I must say... :)

Anyway, crops having high phenolic and anthocyanin elements are deemed to have high antioxidant activity.
And purple corn is believed to have higher antioxidant properties than blueberries...
 
 
I am drying the corn now and planning to consume it bit by bit...
My missus had tried putting a few kernels into the rice pot to cook with the rice, and what beautiful colors the cooked rice turned out to be...

Tonight, I have requested my missus to make me some purple corn drink... 
I understand that this purple corn drink is called Chicha Morada in Peru, and that it is their 'national softdrink'... 

For sure, there will be more 'experiments' with purple corns in the potager in the future...

This post is linked to Monday Harvest...