Sunday, March 4, 2012

The lone lemon, potatoes, spinach...

We bought the lemon tree seedling in April 2006...
Five years later, it gave us the first fruit...
Yes, the one and only precious, precious lemon...
Other than the seeds, we used the whole lemon in our cooking... that is, the flesh and the peel...

Three days ago, I almost let out a howl when my sweeto haato told me that most of our (purple and orange) sweet potatoes had become rotten...
Reason was, I did not bother to cure them after I harvested them last autumn...
I imagined we could finish consuming them before they can even have a chance to rot...
Ooh, that was a painful lesson...
Anyway, the above picture shows one of my favorite foods, cooked by my better-half of course... boiled (purple) sweet potatoes spruced up with onions, garlic, black pepper, olive oil, a little salt, and vinegar... 

Didn't have a problem with the other type of potatoes...
The harvest was too little, and it didn't take us long to consume them all...
I love the potato salad with mustard seeds, whipped up by my sweeto haato...

Our spinach is doing not too badly although they are quite 'mini' due to over-crowding...
I am quite hopeless in 'thinning-out' the vegetables as they grow...
Even then, mini as they are, they are delicious just the same...
Picture shows a common home-cooked dish of spinach with sesame seed, sesame oil, a dash of salt, a little brown sugar, and black pepper...

25 comments:

  1. Oh, lemon is very useful for cooking. I envy you that you have such area which you can plant the tree of lemon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in an 'inaka' area, so we have a little bit of land to plant these trees...

      Delete
  2. The first Lemon how exciting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/04/2012

    Happy Day Lrong...I'm coming to your place to eat today! Soooooo sorry about your potatoes, my parents had a problem once when our huge harvest of potatoes....FROZE! My patio gardening is going semi well...even though I've gardened off and on for 65 years of my life, there's still so much to learn. Onion sets from same package look fantastic in one container, not so much in another. Lettuce growing well in one contain, not so well in another. It is fun though and even if I have enough for one salad it will have been worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa... Theanne, your response certainly brought a smile to my face... ;)
      Anyway, looks like your gardening continues to reward you with much goodies...

      Delete
  4. Deeply admire your yellow lemon. Here it sold expensively! RM8-9 per kg! and sometimes goes up to RM12/- but for me, I am stingy, I still prefer Msian lemons lol.
    Well, for potatoes, my late dad used to cook potatoes with slices of ginger, a pinch of salt and some cooking oil.

    You and your sweeto are abled gardeners! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaa... I like your 'stingy' comment... but we all are, to a certain extent, I think... let's just say we are all 'thrifty'...

      Delete
  5. Too bad about your sweet potatoes going bad. I have got to get my hands on the purple variety one of these years. Congratulations of your first lemon off that tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to have a local DIY selling purple sweet potato slips... good luck to you...

      Delete
  6. Oh yum all those delicious dishes from your own home-grown goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah... what would I do for a lemon tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it was my missus who wanted the lemon tree... I seconded her... :)

      Delete
  8. The lemon is about RM1 per piece in Penang.

    Very expensive.

    What if I too have a lemon tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemons are quite expensive in Japan too... 100 yen a piece, almost 4 ringgit?

      Delete
  9. Perfect looking lemon, congratulations! Sorry to hear about your purple and orange sweet potatoes. When can you starting planting them again? My purple sweet potato slips are doing well but I must wait until June 1st before I can put them in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be purchasing the slips soon... transplanting is usually done in May...

      Delete
  10. That is really precious lemon! I have to buy 1 for Rm1.50!
    I haev replied on pucuk manis in my posting. Please reply me if you want the seeds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Malar... will look at your blog...

      Delete
  11. I am just waiting on my first lemon too - its still a couple of weeks away from being ripe I think, but it looks just perfect. As does yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am happy to hear about your lemon coming on well... good luck...

      Delete
  12. Your lemon is beautiful. Our lemon tree made zero lemons last year due to extremely cold weather. This winter has been mild and the lemon tree now has flower buds, a good sign. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrat on your first lemon and sorry about the purple potatoes, I made the same mistake before. Well, I learn something new from gardening every year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about the potatoes and congrats on your first lemon, it's precious when you have to wait so long for the fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the colours of the fruit of your labour! A feast for the eyes as well as for the tummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Five years is a long wait. Glad you have a lemon now. It look as good as those in the market. Sweet potatoes are always my favourite. Yours look super delicious! btw, someone read your interesting comment in my post on the four o'clock seed, now wonders if the white powder kept the sun from burning the face, or if it was just for show.

    ReplyDelete