Sunday, March 4, 2012

The lone lemon, potatoes, spinach...

We bought the lemon tree seedling in April 2006...
Five years later, it gave us the first fruit...
Yes, the one and only precious, precious lemon...
Other than the seeds, we used the whole lemon in our cooking... that is, the flesh and the peel...

Three days ago, I almost let out a howl when my sweeto haato told me that most of our (purple and orange) sweet potatoes had become rotten...
Reason was, I did not bother to cure them after I harvested them last autumn...
I imagined we could finish consuming them before they can even have a chance to rot...
Ooh, that was a painful lesson...
Anyway, the above picture shows one of my favorite foods, cooked by my better-half of course... boiled (purple) sweet potatoes spruced up with onions, garlic, black pepper, olive oil, a little salt, and vinegar... 

Didn't have a problem with the other type of potatoes...
The harvest was too little, and it didn't take us long to consume them all...
I love the potato salad with mustard seeds, whipped up by my sweeto haato...

Our spinach is doing not too badly although they are quite 'mini' due to over-crowding...
I am quite hopeless in 'thinning-out' the vegetables as they grow...
Even then, mini as they are, they are delicious just the same...
Picture shows a common home-cooked dish of spinach with sesame seed, sesame oil, a dash of salt, a little brown sugar, and black pepper...