Saturday, June 16, 2012

Aliums, roots... and the Versatile Blogger award

We prefer red onions to the white ones...
This year's harvest brought us (only) about 2 kilograms of onions... 
Yet another 'indicator' that there is still a lot for this 'farmer' to learn...  
A mini-teeny 2 kilograms really does not deserve much hanging (to dry the onions) as we would probably consume them before they have a chance to get dried up...
These radishes were actually harvested some time ago... 
We like to cook these radishes in oden, which is a broth that includes other ingredients such as potatoes, tofu, fish cakes, burdock, boiled egg, among other stuff...
This other type of roundish radish is also good to eat...
They taste sweet even if simply boiled lightly...
Planted about 10 garlic seedlings in the strawberry patch last October...
Their size was pretty respectable, compared to those of previous seasons...
They apparently make good companions to the strawberries...

And, as a gesture of gratitude, I would like to dedicate this post to Stephenie of Steph's Green Space for graciously nominating me for the Versatile Blogger award... 
Many, many thanks...

And I would like to ask for her 'forgiveness' as I shall be breaking the rules quite a bit... 

I am going to make a special 'Versatile Blogger Award' mention of Robbie's blog Palm Rae Potager...

This is one gardening blog that I really enjoy visiting... 
The photos are superb... the stories, refreshing... and the garden, tastefully maintained...

Do hop over to take a peep at Robbie's beautiful pictures of Swiss chard in the latest post...

14 comments:

  1. Hi Lrong,

    Congratulations on the Versatile Blogger award! Well deserved indeed. I love reading about gardening in your part of the world and the dishes you and your dear wife make with them. Long may you continue to post Lrong!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank GD, for your kind comments... likewise, I enjoy reading your write-ups too...

      Delete
  2. A student-farmer is now a professor-farmer

    who received award.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two kilos of red onion is not shabby at all. Your radishes are so well formed, I should get my seeds into the ground before it is too late,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sowed some of those seeds today again... in the rain...

      Delete
  4. I would love to grow 2kg of red onions - my harvest last year was closer to 200g. They look fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats. Those onions are so nice that you can save and eat them for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'am always eager to read your blog when you post. What kind of radishes are those above-they look very good to eat!
    You are too kind and what a compliment from someone I feel is all the things you said about me-:-) robbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the award! You truly deserve it. I think you have a good harvest of onions, radishes and garlic. I'd love to have a taste of oden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the onions look great! I haven't had much luck with underground onions, spring/green onions seem to grow better for me. The radishes look great, I want to try growing some white ones. Congrats on the award :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the award, the red onions and radishes look great. I enjoy reading your blog, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You deserved that award Lrong (and of course your missus. Love her beautiful flower arrangements :-D)!

    I used to dislike radish until I tasted some raw slices of radishes (a salad dish) in Nepal. I was surprised by how sweet the radishes were! Maybe it was the variety or maybe it is the climate that makes them sweet... hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice harvest! I also enjoy daikon in oden.

    ReplyDelete