Sunday, June 10, 2012

Snap peas, greens, potatoes, berries...

Beautiful weather these days in Shikoku, Japan...
It is supposed to be the rainy season, and I am hoping for rain, actually...
We ate the last of the snap peas this season...
My missus prefers to harvest them when they are more 'full-bodied'...
'Crunchy and meaty', she says...
Sowed some mini turnip seeds in April...
Used to sow them in rows, but I am quite hopeless at thinning the little plants after they germinated...
So, tried sowing them in discreet spots, spaced about 30 centimeters apart...
It makes the thinning process easier, and the plants grow better too...
They taste really good, stir-fried with bean curd...
Also sowed some chingen-sai last April...
They are easy to grow and are more resistant to pests compared to komatsu-na...
I normally grow these greens in the autumn season as there are less pests to start with...
Anyway, chingen-sai is also a very delicious vegetable...
I would also like to add, a very 'handsome-looking' one too...
Planted two types of potatoes last October...
Danshaku potato (originated from Irish Cobbler potato) and Kita-akari potato (which is an 'improved' strain of the Danshaku)...
From two kilograms of seed potatoes, I could harvest only seven kilograms of potatoes...
Hmmm... could this be proof of the amateurism of the farmer?
We were very excited to see so many fruits in our two mulberry trees in May...
Come June, to our dismay, the fruits turned whitish and rotted away...
The same thing happened last year, and we had thought it was the continuous rain that brought about the rotting...
Did a check on the net and found out that the tree was suffering from 'popcorn' disease...
The recommended treatment is to 'remove and bury the infected fruit on the trees and any ground debris as it appears during the growing season'... (source)
I went a step further... I burnt them all...
Am hoping that the fruits will not be infected again next year...

12 comments:

  1. The soul of the fruits float around, in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good harvest you have now. The weather here is sunny and hot at 33C even at night. Mulberry is also popular in my neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lrong,

    Interesting to read about the komatsu-na. Oriental greens are becoming much more popular over in Britain now. I grew the komatsu-na last year but did find it attracted pests. Will look out for the chingen-sai if I can get some seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice harvest! The potatoes look so fresh!
    Sorry on the mulberries! Hope you have good harvest next year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, the greens look great, I'm impressed with the peas and potatoes, two things that I'm yet to master. Shame about the mulberry, but at least you know what's wrong with it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really sad for your mulberries but those peas do look perfect and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with your missus, I like the snap peas when they are 'full-bodied' too.
    I too hope you have good mulberries next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do envy your great harvest, so green so fresh! I just planted 4 mulberry last week, and i am hoping popcorn will not affect them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope to visit Japan in one of those days to experience the many wonders there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your vegetables look beautiful, chingen-sai is new to me. Too bad about your mulberries getting the popcorn disease. Looks like there were a lot of berries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Full bodied, crunchy and meaty... wow! I want ;-D Btw, you really can fit back into your old jeans? You made my jaw dropped. That's amazing!! Btw, skinny ones?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sure have an abundance of great produce Lrong. How nice to enjoy the fruits of your labour. :)

    ReplyDelete