Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Carrots, radish, broccoli...

Today is vernal or spring equinox and Japan celebrates it as a national holiday... 
Which means I get to dirty my hands in the potager... 
and also that the weather is warming up for good.... yahoooo....
But hmmm, my carrots this season... rather pathetic...
They are smallish, under-nourished, and somewhat 'un-luscious' looking...no?
Anyway, harvested a bunch of them today...
And into the pot of beef curry for dinner this evening...
Luckily, the taste was quite good...
The other harvest is the radish or daikon as the Japanese folks call it...
Had it with miso soup before the beef curry main course... nice...
I always grow my broccolli and cauliflower in the autumn for harvesting the following spring...
Almost always, the broccoli wins hands down...
The cauliflower is normally measly and ooh... I should be putting in fertilizer for the poor plant....
Anyway, my suweeto haato just boiled the broccoli lightly... tasted extremely fresh and crunchy...

14 comments:

  1. I find carrots, radish and broccoli in the market, but never in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you can find lots of 'aliens' in your walks in the hills...

      Delete
  2. I have horrible luck with carrots. I don't think your carrots look too bad!I figure if they look bad, but taste good--I'm successful:-) I do better growing my carrots in the spring than in the fall. Mostly because I forget to start them early enough. I tend to not give up on something, so I will try again this spring. I am trying some heirloom types this spring to see if they will do better. That is if we can get outside to plant. The first day of spring ( today) here in the Midwest USA is 21 degrees and they are predicting snow for Sunday-yikes...Your broccoli looks pretty good,too. I wish I had deep enough soil for daikon radish, maybe someday...robbie:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I started them late and they did not have enough time to mature before the cold came in...
      Shall be attempting to grow carrots this spring season... hope they will turn out better...

      Delete
  3. Your carrots are still better than mine. Something ate all the seedlings and I didn't get a crop whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a pity... good luck to you next season...

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3/21/2013

    lovely...I can imagine how delicious your vegetables taste.

    I never could grow a decent carrot...your look quite splendid to me.

    hope you and your lady are well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theanne... thank you so much for your comments... hope you have been doing well...

      Delete
  5. I would be very happy if I can get anything out of my garden:P You have a very bountiful crop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I envy your skills at baking... :-)

      Delete
    2. If got chance we do bartering:D You give me some fruits/veg, I'll exchange with cakes:D

      Delete
    3. That's a good idea... :-)

      Delete
  6. They are really nice vegetables They must be so fresh and delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, their taste is superb... definitely...

      Delete