Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Marigold, cosmos, zinia...

Even in the cold weather, the marigold plants in the potager still bloom...
They emit a very nice fragrance...
I plant them as 'companions' to the veggies as they are supposed to ward off harmful insects...
Their petals are reported to be edible but we have yet to try them out...
The cosmos plants self-seed in our potager...
They require minimum care...
The one thing that I have to do is to thin out the crowded patches and oohla, I get pretty cosmos all over the garden...

Zinias are also self-seeding in our potager...
I sowed some seeds years ago and like the cosmos, they need minimum care...
We are very happy with these three flowers as they make very good cut flowers as well...
The marigolds especially, last for days and days in the vase... 

2 comments:

  1. Those are my favourite flowers too, will brighten up any garden with their bright colours. Thanks for dropping by my small garden. Looking forward to know about your varieties of vegetables and plants in your garden. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p3... thanks for your comment... likewise, I shall be popping in and out of your blog to check out what is growing there...happy new year...

    ReplyDelete