Saturday, January 8, 2011

Potager frosted...

Went out to the potager to harvest some rocket and mini radish for breakfast...
Almost let out a scream upon seeing the plants 'frozen'...
The carrots, chard, radish, lettuce, onions, fava beans, snap peas, parsnip... ouch!
Wanted to pour water on them to melt away the ice...
But was stopped by my missus... you will only make it worse.... let nature take its way and wait for the sun to warm them up, she said...
Went off for a function and came back in the afternoon to check...
She was right... the plants had recovered... ahh...
Now I am wondering if I should cover my plots with some protective plastic...
We use green peppers to make 'pizza toast' for breakfast almost everyday...
But we need more 'kick', so next season, I shall be planting more Jalapenos instead...
We grew habaneros once, but ooh, no way we could enjoy that fiery stuff...
We have water lily and lotus in our pond...
The water lily flowers every year but not the lotus...
Perhaps I should add some cowdung into the lotus pot...

10 comments:

  1. That was a relief wasn't it or else all your veggies would have perished! Didnt the weatherman warn you of the frost in your area? Your water lily is looking good even in your cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a close call. I have never experienced gardening with frost before. Due to climate change the weather here has been becoming warmer. Do you have yuki in your place in winter? becuase I been to shikoku only during summer. Wow harvesting capsicum in cool weather how nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Climate is changing all round the world! We are all getting strange weather. I hope you didn't suffer any bad losses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p3... come to think of it, we did hear the weatherman said so, but perhaps I took it too lightly... the water lily pic was actually taken at the end of the summer season... just didn't get to post it till now...

    MKg... very little yuki where I live... think we went down to minus 1 degree that day...

    matron... not yet, thankfully... I should think of how to cover up those plants I want to save...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the plants/fruits/flowers will be destroyed by any frost. Where gardening in Japan is concerned, your wife is the 'Guru', haha. The lotus is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky thing as I am finding out bit by bit, is that a little frost is quite good for the veges... the light frost 'sweetens' them, so to say... prolonged and severe frost will kill them...
    My wife is the 'Guru' for a lot of things Japanese... can't argue with her on many aspects related to life here... and I am very glad to have her as the guru....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that your vegetables have recovered! Hope to see your harvest soon! You have nice vegetable plot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank god the veges are alive and kicking... but I have to 'beautify' the plot which has been quite messy for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you use any fertilizer for water lily and lotus? I use organic fertilizer for all my plants except for these water plants. I give them the tablet fertilizer which are suitable for such plants on a monthly basis. My lotus flowers quite often altho' it's in a small pot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One... the water lily is inside the goldfish pond, so I suppose it is 'fertilized' by the goldfishes... the lotus is in a claypot... perhaps I should follow your way to fertilize them with the tablet fertilizer when it is growing... thanks for this hint...

    ReplyDelete