Sunday, January 9, 2011

Camellia, citrus, ta-sai...

Camellias in winter offer one of the few colorful sights in our garden...
The nectar in the flowers attract a very cute small bird call 'mejiro' (Japanese White Eye?)... 
I like the flowers so much that I am contemplating to make a hedge with just the camellia plant...
One reason I enjoy living here is that the neighbors are friendly...
Over the weekend, I made a new friend and was immediately offered some oranges...
These oranges are very sour and are sometimes used for religious purposes...
I am suggesting to my missus to make marmalade out of them..
Then our next door neighbor gave us some 'yuzus' (Japanese citron?)...
This citrus fruit has a very refreshing flavor to it, and we plan to use it for cooking...
Our neighbor prefers to squeeze its juice into some Japanese sake, on the rocks...

Harvested some ta-sai (a type of Chinese green belonging to the cabbage family)...
This vegetable is one of my wife's favorite...
The taste is quite lovely, I must say...
It is highly cold-resistent and easy to grow...

13 comments:

  1. YUZU ka, looks like lime is it not? Thank you for reminding me that I actually have ta-sai seeds bought last year but have not sowed them yet and now I know what it looks like from your photos. Camellias bring back fond memory from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camellia hedges would be so lovely and sweet smelling! Mr Lrong you are so lucky to have friendly neighbours in a faraway land, and with your proficiency in their language, Im sure you dont feel homesick at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MKG... we have a line tree too but it has yet to bear fruits... I think they are a different breed... good luck with your ta-sai...

    p3... you are right about the sweet smelling camellias... yeap, I am always thanking my stars and my wife for being so lucky... but I do feel 'homesick' to a certain extent so much so that I balik kampong about twice a year...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really interesting that you have 'sour' oranges over there. Yes, in England we call them 'Seville' oranges and they only come into season in February for about 6 weeks. We make marmalade with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are trying to use the recipe for Seville marmalade for these sour oranges... we don't mind our marmalade turning out a bit sour, but we shall see how it turns out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pink camellia is really sweet and lovely. I can imagine how scented it is too. Some of the edibles featured in this post are strange and new to me. So good to know about them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right on about the camellia... it is really a beautiful flower... flowers are good, but my passion somewhat tilts towards edibles, actually...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Camellia is a beautiful flower! You're lucky to have good neighbour!
    What did you cooked with the sour orange?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed it is... I may do a post on the tea plant which is related to the camellia... I think my missus is going to make marmalade out of the sour orange...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photo! so nice you have great neighbors

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your compliment... and yes, pretty good neighbors I am blessed with...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1/15/2011

    Camellia photo is beautiful...how delightful to make a new friend and receive oranges...marmalade sounds like an excellent idea...and the Chinese green sounds delicious...I like veggies that grow through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Theanne... many thanks... we just made some marmalade out of the oranges... winter greens are really tasty and sweet... we enjoy them a lot too...

    ReplyDelete