Saturday, January 15, 2011

Friendly neighbors...

Several kind readers commented on the friendly neighbors we have here at Aji...
Lucky as we are, my missus on one of her morning walks in the hills met an acquaintance by accident...
The acquaintance was just heading to her garden plot and woah, my missus found herself coming home with a big head of lettuce, a bunch of 'mamba' greens (sort of like a type of Japanese mustard,belonging to the cabbage family), and some big red turnips...  
These fist-sized red turnips, how I wish I can grow them myself...
Ok, next season Ishall try and see...
My wife sliced the turnips and have them seasoned in vinegar...
We love to eat these stuff...

The 'mamba' is a local favorite vegetable of the people around here...
The leaves are large and with just about three leaves or so, we get a plateful of goodies for dinner...
I tried to grow them but only one plant is surviving now...
And it is as usual, quite 'tiny' due to my low gardening skills...

Now, what happened to the sour oranges we received from another neighbor?
Yes, my missus made marmalade out of them...
She relied on several online recipes and came up with her own concotion...
And, this morning, we had the marmalade with some homemade pancakes... umm...
The marmalade is stored in re-cycled bottles...
We also tried using the concotion for hot drinks...

Ok, a change of topic...
I had posted a picture of the tiger lily...
I mentioned about using the edible bulb into a bean dessert...
The picture above shows the bulb which we bought from the store...
We shall be peeling off the outer 'petals' for consumption...
I plan to keep the innermost layers as a 'seed' to plant in the potager this coming spring...

8 comments:

  1. They all look very delicious! And by the way, love the photos you take

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky to live in such a close community neighbourhood. The kabu look so delicious. My first attempt growing them last spring was not very successfull ~ chisakatta. So I hope this Aki will be another different story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fer... many thanks for your compliment...

    MKG... indeed the kabu was crunchy and delicious... the many kind Japanese people whom I meet and know is one big reason why I like living in Japan so much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having Japanese bloggers like you, Fer and Takaeko introduced me to all kinds of new vegetables and also new recipes.I wont go anywhere else if I have good and friendly neighbours like yours Mr Lrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1/16/2011

    Nice to have neighbors who share vegetables...those big beets are fabulous...the marmalade looks delicious...enjoy your photos very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p3, Theanne... thanks for your comments... think I am quite settled where we are now... after retirement (about 10 years from now), shall probably continue to 'play' with the soil here and shooting pretty pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so nice to share the harvest of vegetable from our garden! I wish i'm your neighbour !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Malar... yes, it is a pleasure to share the fruits of our harvests...
    We are neighbors, cyber-wise that is :)

    ReplyDelete