Sunday, January 9, 2011

Camellia, citrus, ta-sai...

Camellias in winter offer one of the few colorful sights in our garden...
The nectar in the flowers attract a very cute small bird call 'mejiro' (Japanese White Eye?)... 
I like the flowers so much that I am contemplating to make a hedge with just the camellia plant...
One reason I enjoy living here is that the neighbors are friendly...
Over the weekend, I made a new friend and was immediately offered some oranges...
These oranges are very sour and are sometimes used for religious purposes...
I am suggesting to my missus to make marmalade out of them..
Then our next door neighbor gave us some 'yuzus' (Japanese citron?)...
This citrus fruit has a very refreshing flavor to it, and we plan to use it for cooking...
Our neighbor prefers to squeeze its juice into some Japanese sake, on the rocks...

Harvested some ta-sai (a type of Chinese green belonging to the cabbage family)...
This vegetable is one of my wife's favorite...
The taste is quite lovely, I must say...
It is highly cold-resistent and easy to grow...