Monday, January 3, 2011

Pruning the hedge on new year's day...


I have some vegetables growing in the potager now but they are not much of a photography subject in this weather...
So I am picking a photo or two from sunnier days gone by just to spruce things up...
This pic shows the flowers and pods of lentils...
Malaysians are fond of making a sweet coconut-based desert from these beans...
I just wanted to see how it feels to grow this plant...
Think I shall not be planting it next season...
In April, when we walk in the hills, we can sometimes pick wild berries...
If we are lucky, that is...
These berries tasted quite like raspberries, although not as sweet and flavorful...

Yesterday, 2nd January, was a beautiful day...
No wind, sunny, with a high of about 9 degrees...
Could not resist the urge to go outdoors...
Decided to prune the hedge of Juniperus chinensis or 'Kaizuka'...
They have grown too fast and too dense...
I cannot keep up with their pace...
Am planning to thin them out, carving little ball-like shapes at the end of their branches...
There are about thirty such plants in the property and it is quite a task to prune them...

Then, my missus came out and announced that my mother-in-law had advised me through the phone, to take it easy on the second day of the new year...
The gods are visiting, said mother-in-law... so it is rather impolite to do such 'work' which may offend the gods...
They shall be here until the seventh day of the new year, so it goes...

Oops, no arguing with the missus and no insubordination against the mother-in-law...