Saturday, January 1, 2011

Gales on the 1st of January 2011

Looking at the picture above, I can't wait for spring to come...
It was taken one morning in the spring (April) of 2010...
Was returning from a morning walk with my missus in the hills...
And was carrying a gunny-sack of dried leaves to mulch the plots...
The sakura trees in the background are 'natural'...
They offer a beautiful view for us each year...

Today was very windy with a low of 2 degrees and a high of 6...
Went down to the slopes to check out my cauliflower plants...
Arrgh...five cabbage worms were feeding on the cauliflower head...
The tomato plants are still going strong...
Wonder why the crows are not eating them... hehehee...
Planted my potatoes late in October last year...
Due to my returning home to Malaysia, I had missed buying the potato seeds...
A neighbor had offered to give me some of the smaller potatoes he had harvested from the spring season...
Although we know that 'spring' potatoes do not grow that well in autumn, I accepted his offer...
Some of the plants were drying up, and I did not want to risk them being eaten by racoons...
So, with nose a-running in the winds, I harvested them today...
Very nice looking indeed...
They weigh about 5.4 kilograms... not too bad...

3 comments:

  1. A very nice harvest. I did not realised that in Kanagawa spring blooms in January?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home grown tomatoes and potatoes look so much sweeter. Spring already in Japan? I am hopping to see plum blossoms (mei hua) from your blog. I wonder if there are any peony blooms (mau tan) in Japan. I have never seen such real flowers before, only artificial ones. I'd like to follow your blog but there is no widget here. My best wishes to you and your Mrs during 2011. In Malaysia, the markets are already blarring Chinese New Year songs to get us in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MKG... lots of folks tend to mix up Kanagawa and Kagawa... actually my place is Kagawa, in the island of Shikoku... the sakura blooms at the end of March or early April...

    AB... we have plum trees with white and red flowers... very pretty... but no peony plants yet... just put up the widget on 'Friends'... ah, CNY already? Wish you a happy and prosperous CNY then...

    ReplyDelete