Sunday, January 16, 2011

Parsnip harvest...

The parsnips are ready for harvest...
I bought the seeds from Cairns last year...
This 'three-legged' one weighed 255 grams...
The first two that I harvested a few days ago weighed about 200 grams...
This vegetable is called 'shiro-ninjin' (literally, white carrot) in Japan...
Supermarkets here do not sell them, so it is somewhat a novelty veggie...
We gave one parsnip to a neighbor and they were quite excited to try it out...
I read that parsnips become sweeter after they experience a frost or two...
We had it with chicken broth and indeed, they do taste quite sweet...
Hmm, may I say that it has a taste and texture between the potato and the sweet potato?

Talking of (kind) neighbors, I was pruning the hedge this afternoon when one came a-calling with a two ton truckload full of logs...
Was pleasantly surprised that he offered to give us these logs (as firewood) for our soon-to-be-installed wood stove...